View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:22 pm
sbiddle

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by needtoescape View Post
Thanks, sbiddle. I had assumed that the higher pricing on the nonstop route is because it is more desirable and has less current (or expected future) availability, so I understand it may not be available for same day change. But, it is worth spending 20 NZD more for the possibility of saving some time if I can switch to the nonstop or being able to select seats in advance for the two segments if I end up on the connecting flight I book.
As already mentioned nobody can really put any value on saving $20 except for you. Buying flexi tickets to exploit the fare change and save money is a bit like gambling. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Having said that the risks are normally if you want to change from a direct to an indirect flight and not the other way around.

Without knowing your exact route, flights and dates it's not really possible to comment but as a generalisation on routes where there are both direct and indirect flights the cheapest fare classes for that route will never be available on the indirect flights. The fact the indirect flight is more expensive does suggest it's potentially got fairly high loadings already.