FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When to arrive JFK T5 for 6:49am flight?
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:16 am
MW147

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by richarddd
When should we arrive at JFK for a 6:49am flight to SFO? Mint and, with luck, TSA pre-check. No plans to check bags.

The website recommends 60 minutes before departure for JFK domestic, but airline recommended times don't always make sense.
I had a 6:20 AM flight to Vegas last week in Mint. I was checking a bag. There are only 2 Mint check-in positions only. Unfortunately, when I arrived at 4:45 AM, one position was occupied by a family of 6 with passport issues, and the other position was occupied by a woman who insisted she was Mosaic, but she had no proof and it was not on her reservation. She was arguing endlessly with the person behind the desk. What should have taken 5 minutes ended up taking me close to 30 minutes to get checked in. T5 is very busy at that hour! I have Pre-Check. There was a bit of a line but I was through in about 10 minutes.

Bottom line - an hour should be enough, but s*** happens, even at that early hour. I would give it an hour and a half at least just to be sure.