FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Caledonia: Australian International Driving Permit
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:17 pm
bensyd
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Catweazle
I'm thinking of traveling to New Caledonia later this year. I currently have an open driving license, valid for years and years to come (yes, I paid the big bucks to VicRoads).

Only ever driven overseas using my Australian driving license. But, since Nouvelle Caledonie is a french territory, I'm assuming they'll want to see me with an international driving permit.

Is this the sort of thing you get before you go – does the French embassy here in Australia do authorised translations? Or do you need to apply for a temporary license of some description when you first hit the streets in downtown Nouméa? I'd only be going for a week or so.
They're not "permits" in the sense that they authorise you to drive, you driver's license does that. They're just a translation of your driving license into several languages. Australian driver's licenses conform to the 1968 convention so there's no real need to carry one anywhere in a European country. I've driven half way across the world, literally, and been stopped plenty of times overseas and not once was I ever asked for an IDP.

If you insist though, the state based motoring association (RACV) will get issue you one.