FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan misleading fees
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:45 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I found this. And yes, I know it explains the fee, not why Aeroplan does not name it properly.

Aeroplan now collecting NAV Canada fees?

(bolding mine)

May 12, 2010

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I hadn't seen anything about this posted on here but I was poking around the AE website and stumbled across this notice:

Effective April 14—Aeroplan will collect NAV Canada service charges on flight rewards on behalf of Air Canada
Effective April 14, Aeroplan will collect NAV Canada service charges on Aeroplan flight rewards on behalf of Air Canada.

NAV CANADA is Canada’s civil air navigation service provider that co-ordinates the safe and efficient movement of aircraft in Canadian domestic airspace and international airspace assigned to Canadian control.

The NAV Canada surcharge is collected by airline operators and passed along to NAV Canada to cover the costs of these air navigation facilities and services:
Air traffic control
Flight information
Weather briefings
Aeronautical information services
Airport advisory services
Electronic aids to navigation

The NAV Canada service charge will be included in the amount shown under the "Review airport taxes and surcharges" section on your flight reward booking confirmation.

The service charge is applicable on...
Flight rewards that have an Air Canada flight segment (per direction)
Domestic, transborder and select International Flights on Air Canada

The surcharge is not applicable
On certain international routes (because not all countries have approved NAV Canada service charge collection)
For infants aged 2 years and under, seated on parent’s lap

The NAV Canada service charge will be as follows:

Itinerary NAV Canada Charges
Domestic (within Canada) $15 per direction containing at least one Air Canada segment (30.00 cad for round trip)
Transborder
Between Canada & the U.S.
(including Hawaii) $7.50 per direction containing at least one Air Canada segment ($15.00 for round trip)

International
Between Canada & Mexico
Between Canada & South America
Between Canada & Australia or New Zealand

Between Canada & Asia via the Pacific except to/from Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, and Taiwan $15 per direction containing at least one Air Canada segment ($30 for round trip)
International
Between Canada & Caribbean
Between Canada & Costa Rica
$7.50 per direction containing at least one Air Canada segment ($15 for round trip)

Did I miss a discussion about this or did AE just quietly inflate the cost of all awards?

If I missed it.. sorry for reposting this!