FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels asking for your company's name
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:29 am
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
As other folks noted, this is almost certainly something done by the individual hotel and not Marriott Corporate. It's merely the Sales Department prospecting for business. Asking a simple question is not brutish. Not even close.

As to benefits, if I were able help my company save money, I'd certainly do it. Not everything in the world has to directly benefit me. To be clear, we're talking about doing something that takes less than 30 seconds and requires zero effort.
Reports of this happening are remarkably consistent in particular brands within the Marriott Group, so I’m presuming this is MARSHA functionality which a proportion of in-brand hotels have turned on. I don’t think it’s realistic to say it’s completely independent of Marriott - has anyone had these questions at other hotels?

Of course, if you want to answer then go ahead - most of the time I would. I do think that this kind of “data grab” is unacceptable in the 21st century (I.e. we’re going to ask for your data in a way which makes it sound compulsory and we’re not going to tell you why or what we’re going to do with it), but again I live in Europe where data privacy and management are somewhat better established than in the metaphorical Wild West of the US just now