FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by stu287
If my company has a good year in terms of headline earnings do I spit my dummy out and say that the money and bonus I agreed previously isnt good enough? No.... that's what i signed up for in the first place. Nor do I expect the company to come back to me and ask for my bonus back when they have a bad year...
Your points are mostly fair (even though one could add that pilots don't know exactly how much they make, much like crews, because they have a fixed wage plus a hourly add-on for every duty hour) but this one is incorrect.

BA does not disclose how much your bonus is going to be. Neither in contracts nor in oral conversations during the employment process; I used to work for BA and my current employee has told me, in writing, how much my bonus pot can amount to (pending of course financial performance and my own's). BA does not. All it says is that "bonuses are non-contractual privileges".

And bonuses are where there is a huge difference between Banded and non-Banded colleagues. Last year's results - largest ever, yadda yadda yadda - yielded, if memory serves me right, a bonus of £600, before tax, for my former coal-face colleages. This I believe includes pilots as well. Mine, and bear in mind I was a low Band 2 manager (so not really top of the crop) was 16 times higher. And I write it with shame because, however well I performed my job and however I contributed to the airline's wealth, I did not work 16 times harder than a frontline colleague. I mentioned this disparity in an email to Angela Williams, director of People, who I hear has taken to sending out falsities to staff (some weeks ago I heard an email was sent to MF crew saying everyone else had accepted so why don't they just give up?). Before I left the airline I was still waiting for an answer from her.