FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:06 pm
budgetmiles

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
It's dailymail time! No wonder BA doesn't provide it on their flights!

​​​​​​
  • Captains are paid an average of £176,000 but want an increased share of profits
  • One pilot said staff were unhappy at having to stay in four- not five-star hotels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...​​
I've stayed at some "4-star" airport hotels, and many are uhhh... not fit for a captain. Or a flight attendant. Now, I'm not anywhere close to a luxury traveler, usually staying at 2- or 3-star properties and having never paid (cash or miles) for a premium cabin; but I think the chance of getting a crappy x-star is much higher than a crappy (x+1)-star, and AFAIK it's the airline that's choosing the property, not them.

The raw pay doesn't matter. If the trend is stagnation or reduction, and the current compensation lines up with or is lower than for other employers, you have a case for a raise.

There's a reason they call it The Daily Fail.

Edit: I'm personally against this strike, even though it looks like it won't affect me. Just wanted to point out that it's often more complicated than the talking points suggest.