FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:33 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I apologize for the delay, everyone. We had a power outage last night followed by connectivity problems. Life in Alaska. On occasion...

48. (1987) Only one airline operates between North America and London utilizing three different types of wide bodied aircraft on the same route – each built by a different manufacturer. Identify the airline and the city it serves London from with its three different types of widebodies. And what the heck - you might as well identify the aircraft types as well.

Per WHBM:
British Airways took over British Caledonian on Christmas Eve 1987. So I'll guess BA from JFK with the Boeing 747 and Lockheed Tristar to Heathrow (and Concorde, but not a widebody), and the former B Cal route to Gatwick with a McDonnell Douglas DC-10.

Per Toshbaf: TWA, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Lockheed L-1011,JFK

You know, I'm pretty confident I checked through all the flights into London when I formulated this question, but as we all know, history has shown that occasionally I occasionally miss one. I am currently outside of Fairbanks while the 1987 OAG I used to research this question is 120 miles down the road at Denali. As such, I'd like to hold off on responding to your responses to this question until I return to Denali tomorrow. In the meantime, please feel free to continue to submit your thoughts on this question and I will provide answers to all tomorrow evening.

Toshbaf, keep in mind we're looking for three different aircraft manufacturers.