FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying Blue starts to take away elite perks
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:58 am
DukeOfSilesia

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Originally Posted by emviflyer
When booking award tickets for family and friends the passengers used to travel with the FB level of the sponsor. Thus if a platinum member gives his son an award ticket, the son would enjoy, extra baggage, free seat choice, SKY PRIORITY etc.
NO MORE !
Without communicating to its members FB has removed this perk per 17 July 2019 and that works retrospectively.

So your beneficiary, unaware of the changes, will be in for a surprise at the airport. The extra suitcase has suddenly to be paid for, the reserved seat has gone, no SKY PRIORITY and denied access to the lounge.

Where AF/KL can of course take back any perk they give to their elite passengers, I fail to understand why this is not communicated in a timely manner and worse, why it also applies to tickets booked before 17 July, the holders of which having no idea which unpleasant surprises they will get flying KL/AF.

I have asked FB and in an email, they confirmed the situation described above, but fortunately they do understand how disappointed this must be for us....
Could you share that email from KLM? I have just booked a ticket for my mother to fly with me to Portugal, ad on her booking she has my level, I was able to pick her seat (our tickets are on separate PNRs as I join her in Amsterdam, so want to make sure what to tell her to expect and what not to.