FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Travel Insurance with Pre-Existing Conditions Waiver
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:52 pm
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Most of the language I have seen seems to allow per-existing as long as it is 'under control'. (Essentially all have this waiver.) They have a list of stuff that they use to define this concept.

It can be VERY tricky. If you do have any long term medical conditions- ANY- do not let your doctor change ANYTHING during the 'look back' period for the policy.

Are you looking for insurance for the trip, or for medical during the trip? .
If one gets a policy that does not exclude pre-existing conditions (these are relatively easy to get), then it won't matter if you have any of those "changes" to your health status or to your treatment/care.
Most of those types of policies (in the USA, anyway) require that one starts the coverage within approximately 10-21 days of making the *first* payment, such as a deposit. The exact timing depends upon the policy, the insurer, and the state.
If one "misses" that deadline, there is at least one policy that will not exclude pre-existing conditions if the policy is started no later than within 24 hours of *final* payment (defined narrowly).

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
To be very specific, I am looking for insurance that would cover me if I got sick while in Europe.

Also, ideally, I would want the insurance company to a) be primary; and c) pay the hospital directly (not promise to reimburse me).
Did you contact TripInsuranceStore.com or some other insurance broker? Helping people to find the "best fit" policy (with specific needs such as you listed) is "what they do".

None of us can "fit" a policy to your needs, as we don't know enough about you or your needs (plus we aren't licensed to sell insurance ).

And per Often1's comment, yes, most policies will reimburse, but there are some insurers that will send money or guarantee payment if it is required for your care.
(But you should always have good available credit left on your card for true immediate/emergency care.)
There are also a few insurers who have networks of providers worldwide, but whether you'd be near one is a question I'd have, depending upon whare you travel.

MedJetAssist will medevac you at your request (no additional charge to the policy premium) IF you are already admitted as an inpatient (not ER, not Observation, etc.).

GC