FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Steppe, Beaches and Rainforest: Mongolia and East Africa
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:54 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Nairobi, Kenya

Nairobi, Kenya

I booked a half day tour of Nairobi. Instead of doing the usual city tour routine, I decided to stay close to the airport in order to maximize my time (and not risk getting stuck in traffic both ways). Luckily, Nairobi National Park is very close to the airport, so I booked a game drive followed by a visit to the nearby Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage. My onward flight was from WIL (not NBO), and these activities were conveniently located very close to the airport.

The game drive was really good. Obviously it's nothing compared to a safari in more remote (and game dense) areas, but it was really good for being so convenient and inexpensive. On the ride we saw: cape buffalo, baboons, black rhinos, white rhinos, gazelles, zebras, hartebeest, hippos, lions, eland, impala, giraffe, ostrich, waterbuck, Thomson's gazelle, jackals, warthogs and numerous bird species.

It was difficult to get good photos of some of the animals, as I only had an iPhone. It would've been good to have a telephoto lens, but I prefer not to travel with all that extra weight/bulk.

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Black Rhino

Black Rhino

Black Rhino

Black Rhino

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Impala

Ostrich

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Coke's hartebeest

Coke's hartebeest

Nairobi National Park

Coke's hartebeest

Coke's hartebeest & a Warthog

Eland

Eland

Eland

White Rhino Herd in distance

Two Jackals

Wildebeest, Hartebeest & Impala

Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park

Impala

Wildebeest

Wildebeest, Coke's Hartebeest & Impala

Thomson's Gazelle

Guineafowl

Hippos in Distance

Pelicans and Egyptian Geese

Crocs

We got lucky and spotted this fellow from several hundred yards away. When driving by, you could almost feel his eyes on you and he was easy to spot despite his distance. He didn't move a muscle as we approached.

Lion

Lion

Lion

Jackal

Giraffe

Birds

Birds

Impala

Impala

Croc

Baboon

Baboon

Baboon

Hyrax

Hyrax

Nairobi National Park

Zebra

Giraffe

Giraffe

Giraffe

Giraffe

Giraffe

Impala

Warthog

Nairobi National Park

More Lions - Females this time

Lions

Lions

Lions

After that, we made a quick stop at the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage where they were doing their daily show with the baby elephants fooling around playing in the dirt and mud. The place was absolutely jam packed with tourists.

Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage

It was then time to head to WIlson Airport for my onward flight to Zanzibar. I was very pleased with the tour; there was definitely some luck involved, as I got to see a large variety of animals. I'd highly recommend a stop at the park for those passing through Nairobi with some time to kill. Well worth it.