FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:32 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Then I guess should be fine. It is a MEX IAH HNL itinerrary...
Does MEX even have BE fares published? Canada still doesn't, AFAIK, and I'd guess it eventually will, but I'd guess Mexico/Carribean/Canada will be under the domestic BE structure, as it is with other aspects of those flights.

IME, google flights doesn't call out BE per say, but does call out 'no carry on' allowed, so it essentially does call out BE, but of course, not as well as UA.com does.

Update: just tried it on a domestic route - when selecting individual flights, Google shows an image of a roller bag with a cross through it to indicate no checked bag. When you select all flights, they then give you a page like this: https://flights.app.goo.gl/SrYqn. Obviously, that gives you the choice to select BE or not. When you use the link to book, and it pulls you to UA.com, it does have the basic economy banner next to each of the flight, and below, has a big box with the restrictions, and you have to specifically click to approve the restrictions before continuing with the BE option. So yes, it does seem to warn you multiple times between the two platforms.