FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Picked for random survey at baggage claim.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:22 am
Blissfulpri

Picked for random survey at baggage claim.

I recently traveled on a short trip to visit family abroad. As I picked my baggage at baggage claim and right before the customs exit, an officer asked me if I was traveling with the people in front of me as a group, I responded. “ no sir” so then the officer very nicely asked me to follow him for a 10th person “random” survey. I followed him to the belts next to the exit and he asked for my passport and to open my bigger suitcase. Obviously I did without hesitation, he browsed through it briefly, we chatted about diverse topics ( he was very pleasant, by the way) , he asked for name, address and such and wrote it on a paper with other writing on it on it already, from previous passengers I presume? ( it looked like an excel sheet) . Then asked me to close my suitcase and where to exit. My question is, if I had to pay taxes or fine ( on the few items I had like chocolates and coffee ) he would of told me during or after the inspection, right? Or given me some kind of paperwork or notification of any amount due ? Do they ask you to pay there or they mail you the bill to pay in a different location? How do you know if you’re being taxed? He didn’t say anything about the subject. Just what I mentioned above. Never being in a pull a side “ random survey” so the normality of this is unknown to me.

Last edited by Blissfulpri; Jul 29, 2019 at 8:23 pm Reason: better wording