FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:58 am
KeaneJohn

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Custardthecat
John, thank you for your apology which is gratefully accepted. In my opinion the application was bound to be dismissed but Judges are successfully appealed all the time. I have not heard anything to change my view that the appellant will fail again. However if they can find one single issue to hang a legal argument on then they may well succeed in muddying the waters. The facts of the matter i.e. the detail of that would probably be unknown to both of us at this point. As an outsider, observing inwards, it does seem that BA may not expect to win at appeal but they are succeeding in getting customers away meantime whilst the legal argument goes on. There seems to be no bar to announcing the dates now negotiating with BA at ACAS, calling the strikes off if either an appeal is successful or a settlement is reached. John, I accept that debt is a weighty issue but it is still a personal one. My view and my desperation not to have my travel with my children disrupted also has many personal aspects attached, some of which you might be sympathetic to but which are irrelevant to the argument. Of course, prima facie, it is a selfish view as I don't want my holiday disrupted. Self interest plays its part, as it does in the BA dispute. Everyone is selfish to a degree in outlook. I ask you to accept that I am literally, the man in the middle, the customer. There is a dispute between two groups that will potentially impact me. I have allegiances to neither. I support the view that one may withdraw their labour. Yet I will not lend my support to the pilots because of the perception I have based on the information to hand. You (if you are one) would gain enormous traction with the public if you let the children have their hols first and then set about causing the chaos that will still undoubtedly flow even after the school holiday period. Causing needless suffering really wont endear the pilots to anyone and may throw the public behind the airline after the holidays. In fact their arguments will be less likely to be heard above all the public outcry. The media reports wont be about the actually nitty gritty but about the chaos at airports as small children are used as pawns. This may sound harsh to you but in the event the media may be very unforgiving as they seek a headline that sells papers. I've lived through many disputes that a strike has resulted, dustmen, tube drivers, miners, cabin crew. None of them particularly gained public sympathy. I'm sure you feel now that is irrelevant but take it from me, there may be a time for a more considered view.
I am just a passenger too but not potentially affected though I may be. I’ve been affected before by cabin crew and tubes many times.Despite the inconvenience I support the strikers especially the pilots here as I think BA are bang out of order.

Just suppose strike dates are announced tomorrow, I doubt that BA will allow rebooking/amendments until they know what flights are going to be cancelled which is only going to be a day or so beforehand as of course the strikes could be called off right up to the last minute. BA aren’t going to want to be paying top dollar to competitors for what little capacity there is and I’m sure insurance companies will only pay out if the strikes go ahead not a threat of a strike.

I hear what you say about affecting business flights from September but I’d have thought BALPa would want maximum disruption and embarrassment for BA over their centennial weekend in August, delays to the launch of their new business Class Suite because there haven’t been sufficient familiarisation flights etc. I think 140 flights were cancelled due to the storms in Europe last week and the ATC technical glitch. That caused BA to implode almost, queues of people for rebooking, no hotels at LHR, rebooking for flights 3 days later there are still ripples of flights cancelled today due to lack of crew.

I’d really like to be so wrong in all of this more than ever before. The ideal scenario will be strike dates announced tomorrow, BA think oh we’re in a spot of bother and stop being the fool, talks happen and an agreement is reached and strikes called off. Everybody is happy passengers, BALPA, BA and Flyertalk.....

This is just a big big poker game.. with joe public as the stakes. I think Balpa hold the upper hand and BA have a good poker face but hope they fold quickly but knowing how much of an arse they were over the mixed fleet dispute I do wonder... though this of course is more severe than the mixed fleet dispute

With the TFL disputes the first day of strikes tend to happen, cause mayhem and then negotiations continue in earnest, other strikes are called off and the dispute is finally resolved. The threat of a reinstated strike sometimes is needed to help TFL focus more. I really hope that doesn’t happen as the damage will be done and holidays ruined etc and whilst BALPA will get what they were after it’s at a significant cost.