FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fast Track Arrival/Departure Kuala Lumpur?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:08 pm
SuloL

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
I wonder who thought of having every one of 50-100 gates in a huge airport set up to screen passengers? What a strange system.

At a long haul gate (like a 777 departure) how many X-ray machines etc., are at the gate? Just one?

Though I'd be going to HKG so maybe not that many. I think it's all KA flights, might be wrong.

New question: is the KLIA airport express similar to HKG? I am thinking at the arrivals end downtown is there a sensible queue of taxi to hotels? I see a VIP service where it looks to me like a porter goes with you and your bags aboard the train itself to the terminal in KL and then you are put in a "chauffeur driven" car which I bet is an Uber more or less. It is not hugely expensive vis-a-vis hailing a cab if they are organized at the terminus, but I have no idea of what a cab would be to say a major downtown hotel, Sheraton, W, Marriott, etc.
It's two x-ray machines per two gates. So at best, 2 per 1 flight, at worst, 2 per 2 flights. In any case, it's slow. With the current structure that doesn't allow separation of arriving and departing passengers, that's probably the only way to do security.

KUL is indeed practically all KA nowadays.

KLIA Express is similar, with perhaps a bit more walking at ends. The end point is KL Sentral, and it's easy to get taxis outside the main entrance there as well. I always use Grab myself. 10-20 MYR should get you to most downtown hotels with Grab, and I assume the normal taxi prices are similar.