FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 19, 12:02 pm
Seat 2A

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by WHBM View Post
22. (1982) In 1982, only one airline operated a turboprop nonstop from the U.S. mainland to the far reaches (over 1000 miles from the U.S. mainland) of the West Indies. The flight operated twice weekly and continued on to another island where it overnighted before returning to the U.S. the next day. Identify the airline, the U.S. gateway airport, the two destination airports and the aircraft type.

OK, I'm just wondering now if this was Grenada. It was the year before the Grenada invasion when the new Cuban-built airport was under way but the old airport with the short runway unsuitable for jets was still in use. New government who wanted a service. So, Grenada Airways, still with that Electra chartered from Miami, operating Miami-Grenada-Barbados.

It was not Grenada or Barbados. You'll want to head north quite a ways up the island chain to find the two islands we're looking for here. As to the airline - aside from the OAG I referenced this question from, I've been able to find very little information about it. That's not to say I haven't found anything, but it appears two airlines operated under this name, each with its own unique two-letter code. I did find an airline history site out of the UK (co.uk) that referenced our airline and indicated that it may have operated the Electra, a DC-6 and a Convair 880. I've yet to find any pictures of this airline's Electra, though I did find one of its 880!