FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feedback please on our first visit to New Zealand in September
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:23 pm
gobears293

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A very busy schedule.
You are likely to get some rain in your trip. That will slow you down

Have you booked the Abel Tasman National Park? Is this an organised tour?
https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...national-park/

Have you investigated getting a rental car after the AT Nat Park. From where?

10 & 11 Sept will be very pushed. Should be easy to find out about the Glacier Helicopter flights

From the West Coast (glaciers) you have to drive via Haast to get over the Southern Alps to Wanaka
  • No worries on rain; thanks for the heads-up
  • Haven't booked our walk yet. Request sent to Abel Tasman Guides. Appear to be one of the top tour companies in the area.
  • Plan is to get a rental car in Nelson after AT. Our tour package would include the transport back into Nelson. I can use my work account to get a great deal with Avis.
  • Yeah 10th and 11th are definitely the most rushed days on the trip. We need to decide how much glacier hiking is important to us. See one or both? Spend time in the hot spring pools?
Wondering if weather doesn't cooperate for the helicopter tour, we do just a quick hike to FJ glacier face (we're both fit; hiked Kilimanjaro last year), relax in town and get on the road early on the 11th. Drive through Haast all the way to Wakana in one day. I know that'll be a really long drive, but might be worth it to spend more time in Queenstown relaxing or an extra day in Te Anau or Christchurch.

Appreciate the comments and feedback!