FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help! Dual USA/EU citizen (child) with expired EU passport
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:04 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jricka
My family (husband Austrian, myself USA, young child dual USA/Austrian) is set to fly tomorrow from USA first to a non-EU country, then drive across border to two EU countries, one other non-EU country. We just realized child's passport expired 6 months ago.

Child can travel using USA passport to first non-EU country. We understand Austria has an agreement with certain countries (our two EU land crossings included) where EU citizens can travel up to 5 years on an expired passport.

Has anyone done this? Should we rely on the EU countries letting it slide per the agreement? Should we just use child's USA passport? Help!!!
What’s the specific routing by air and by land (using cities/airports), and how long are you staying in each of the countries? In how many months/years from now does your child’s US passport expire? And when does your child return to the US?

With complete answers to those questions I can try to provide rather solid guidance on how this works out in practice and/or where the problems may be.