FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit July 2017 - August 2019
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:17 am
estnet

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Maybe scam is too strong, but when I compare the rates ty is offering (non chain no benefits) and the difference with their credit turns out to be 30% of the 4th night cost (without taxes) rather than 100% (for some hotels not true for every one) it seems dishonest to me.

I am aware of the "special" rates (which again are going away), but the examples I gave of losing benefits for $15/night was b/c ty rates were higher than what the concierge would book without any special discounts - so we are losing more than it appears on the surface

Just a caution - if you care about the cost it pays to check and just not assume that ty is really giving you the "free" night cost you might expect.

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
While I am not happy about the changes and the reduced benefits - scam it is not. One need to understand the limitations of the program and compare apples to apples.

Thankyou points portal will pull the none refundable and refundable rates - it would not pull any discount rate (such as a Meyerbeer rate, AAA, or any special code) - but until September the concierge can book those. I never had a problem having the concierge booking a special rates, which matched exactly the rates on Marriott.com (note: you still cannot book a special package that cost more than the regular rate). Yes, it will be going away soon - but it is still available.

You can get cheaper rates on 3rd sites - but if you got a cheaper rate on the hotel own website, the concierge can book those prices for you (until September).

Yes, the upcoming change is bad. But even with the limitations of the new system, if they fit your stay profile, you can still come ahead.

On another note - over the last week I've made two reservations using the Concierge (via e-mail - one I had to call because the rate changed, the other was done within 10 minutes of sending the e-mail), for stays in late 2020 and early 2021. So it can still be done (and if the hotel has dates open in 2021 you can even do it that far into the future, without it being counted toward the new limit).