FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All about jet lag: Tips, tricks, discussion (consolidated)
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:11 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Rules for managing jet lag:

1. Sleep shifting starts on the plane. If it's sleep time at your destination, you should be sleeping during those same hours on the flight. If it's awake time at your destination, stay awake during those hours on the flight.
2. No falling asleep before 11 pm at your destination (this increases the chance that you'll wake up at 3 am and it's hard to go back to sleep once this happens)
3. No getting up before 6:30 am at your destination. If you wake up and cannot go back to sleep, DO NOT turn on the lights. Just stay in bed, with the lights off. It's better to not get any sort of light during night hours.
4. No sleeping past 10 am at your destination. If necessary, set an alarm to force yourself to get up.

Going to Asia from the US west coast, I tend to wake up around 3 or 4 am during the first night. And it usually takes me a good 30-60 minutes to go back to sleep, if I can go back to sleep at all. But by day 2, my wake up and sleep times are usually synchronized with time at my destination. (4) will definitely NOT be an issue when traveling to Asia from the west coast. It MAY be an issue going the other way (eastbound) although generally I do not need an alarm, but I do not use window blackout blinds either. I generally find eastbound travel easier to adjust to (UA generally has morning arrival times at SFO and I get enough sun during the day to sync up with California time in about 24 hours). Sometimes, I will sleep and wake up at normal hours on the first night when arriving back.