FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opinions - Cathay vs Japan Airlines First Class
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:40 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Done both regularly. Quite frankly, in my case, I'd never be confronted with your choice because my hesitation would be predominantly on itinerary and where I need to be over minute differences in levels of service. Despite your note, I'm also a bit struggling to see the relevance to BA (it's the same number of avios you'd buy, and both products are frankly in a completely different league from either of the two so personally, I don't really see how BA regulars will improve the opinions, rather you'll likely get less expert views from us than from CX/JL primary users - or the OW forum would have given you the views of both expert and occasional users). Still, as far as the uneditorialised comparison of service goes...

1) Seat and cabin: CX is better. The width is largely irrelevant to me but the 1x1x1 setting makes for far more private seats
2) Food: much better on JL especially from HND/NRT. The only thing better on CX are the made to order eggs for breakfast
3) Champagne and wine: much better on JL. Couldn't care less about the number of choices but Salon is exceptional IMHO.
4) Non alcoholic drinks: the JL Queen of Tea is fun though quite frankly I'd never pay that price (or even a quarter of it) for that drink, but I do like the CX signature mocktails
5) Lounges: much better on CX. JL F lounges are very underwhelming IMHO
6) Service: typically outstanding on both. I personally tend to prefer JL which is an almost ideal style for me, but others with different personalities will be the other way round
7) Bedding: Better on CX, also JL sometimes has very warm cabins and I'm not one of those people who like highly air-conditioned environments.
8) Amenities: Both are very good. Quality of the main CX Aesop contents vs additional mini Shiseido on JL
9) Pyjamas: Again, both excellent, I personally prefer the JL ones for both colour and style but they are a lot warmer which adds to the cabin temperature issue potentially.
10) If you are transferring from somewhere else, which seems likely if you consider both those places hundreds of miles apart: CX is much, much better for transfers
11) Also to know: JL are very good but also very strict. For instance, technically, you should be refused fast track at HND unless you are specifically a JL FFP member (even travelling F). Also the luggage limit will be enforced strictly, F or no F. CX will be more adaptative and also more 'demonstrative' of how special you are because you are an F customer if you like that sort of thing.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 23, 2019 at 10:56 pm