FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Monteal airport question
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:22 am
RatherBeInYOW

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Anyone know whose initiative was this change?
As I posted in the other thread on this topic, my understanding is that AC is working with the airports trying to make YYZ, YUL and YVR more suitable for US - INTL and even INTL - INTL connections, and also improve the US/INTL - Domestic experience. Given the number of super-cheap US - INTL fares AC is selling I am seeing more and more US pax on my INTL flights out of YYZ and YUL; much more common than it was 5 years ago. This change at YUL is part of that; by segmenting Domestic and International sections of YUL then they can more easily facilitate these kinds of transfers. Previously at YUL everyone had to enter Canada like they were staying and then re-clear, which is more like a small airport like YOW where there is minimal US-INTL to say the least, and most traffic is either O/D or domestic connections. AC wants YUL to be a proper hub. Maybe they can fix the YUL Dom lounge next, which makes even YYZ Dom look like the Shangri-La ;-)

Personally I think it is a welcome change. The YUL INTL lounge used to be segmented by gate, but inconsistently enforced by lounge agents, especially sometimes when there would be INTL flights at gates <50 and tcon widebodies at gates >50. Now it is dead simple; the gate areas are clearly segmented and access is enforced, and if you have an INTL BP you get in to the INTL lounge.