FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
Toshbaf
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
21. (1988) You need to fly from Seattle to New York, but since your brother lives in Flushing Meadows, the best airport for you to fly into is New York’s LaGuardia. Unfortunately there are no nonstops between Seattle and LGA. In fact, all of the airlines – with one exception – serve either JFK or EWR with either nonstop or direct flights. The one exception that serves LGA makes two stops enroute. Hmm… Well, at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers or potentially missed flights. Plus, the flight offers a couple of snacks enroute. Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft please!

This is a tough question. By 1988, several airlines had major hubs offering connecting flights resulting in a change of planes in, say, Chicago O'Hare or St. Louis or Detroit, etc. Some airlines had the bad practice, in my opinion, of having "direct" flights that had change of planes, which meant an equal chance of a missed connection compared to having a connecting flight. These fake direct flights were to secure a higher listing in the airline reservation systems.

My first try would be at Delta Air Lines, Boeing 727-200, SEA - DFW - ATL - LGA

You're right - this is a tough question because it could be any number of airlines. It was not Delta. Let's make it easier. The aircraft was indeed a 727-200 and the flight did stop in Dallas... You're off to a great start, T! Finish this one off!
-----
Braniff (Braniff 2), SEA - LAS - DFW - LGA. Boeing 727-200
Seattle was sort of dropped as a spoke and added to LAS. I am reasonably certain of this.

Some airlines, I am not sorry to see go away, like Skybus or Vanguard. Some, I am sorry to see go away, like Braniff 2, Braniff International, Midwest Express, and TWA.