FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A modest proposal to improve the boarding situation
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:41 pm
bse118

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
My pie-in-the-sky thought: If you show up with a carry-on sized roller bag, they check it in for free. To prevent abuse (someone who leaves a second bag hiding with family and doubles up on their allowance) I would re-assign that passenger to Group 9 when taking the bag.
Originally Posted by bse118
I don't follow...

If you are going to get your bag checked for free -- how is being reassigned to Group 9 a penalty?

I mean if you aren't worried about overhead space (your bag has been checked already), and you have your original seat assignment, what's the downside to boarding last?

Originally Posted by Gig103
It isn't about penalizing those that check in a bag, the idea is that by Group 9 there's no more overhead space, so people can't double up and check a bag and also have a full size carry-on.
But what happens to that 2nd bag when overheads are full? Answer - it gets checked for free.

So...I still don't follow. If you're travelling with multiple bags that won't fit under the seat, once you've checked one and if checked bags are free at the gate, then there's little reason not to check the rest of those bags.

So in your scenario person checks in one bag at the gate, then boards in Group 9, finds the overheads full, and the second bag gets checked along with the first. Or boards in Group 9 and finds that there is overhead space.

This system just tells me if I show up with one or more large bags, I'm going to get them checked free. It creates more incentive for me to bypass the paid checked luggage system and creates more baggage at the gate.