FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:55 pm
BEAV

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Originally Posted by cabrits
I was eyeing a Grand Hyatt located in Asia and saw that the Hyatt rates were the same as 3rd party rates - all except for the non-refundable rate. Even with the Hyatt's current 20% promo, Agoda's non-refundable prepaid rate was still about 15% less than Hyatt's non-refundable prepaid rate. However, I didn't want to actually book Hyatt's non-refundable rate, because I didn't want to be stuck with it in the event the BRG was not approved

So, what I did was I booked Hyatt's standard refundable rate which was the same as the comparable rate on Agoda. Of course, this claim was not approved. What I did then was ask Hyatt BRG to look at Agoda's non-refundable rate (knowing that it was less than Hyatt's) and told them that this is rate that I wished to book.

Before Hyatt BRG booked the non-refundable Hyatt rate, they verified that Agoda's comparable non-refundable rate was indeed less. Thus, both Hyatt BRG and I knew that this claim would be approved before even processing it.

A little while later, I received an email from Hyatt BRG confirming the successful BRG claim with a rate that was 20% less than Agoda's non-refundable rate. In the end, the net was a rate that was about 30% less than Hyatt's originally published rate. I further applied a suite upgrade.
Great strategy!

Are you saying after the original denial and conversation with Hyatt you went ahead and purchased the non-refundable rate and then filed a second claim, knowing it would be approved? Or was this all entirely orchestrated within the bounds of the original claim?

Congratulations!