FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 28K miles later... I think I chose a wrong airline for miles?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:24 am
canoned

Programs: BA/UA
28K miles later... I think I chose a wrong airline for miles?

Hi gang! I'm new here. Did a bit of research, but don't seem to find all the answers... yet

Basically, I fly a lot due to work (I work in film), but mainly have flown BA/OneWorld (Silver level there). But this year it has changed and I've actually amassed 28K miles on my United account (which was my airline of choice to collect the Star Alliance miles). I genuinely don't know why I went with United while I don't even fly that much to US, and definitely, don't fly much internally US. So... I ran into an issue where I have 28K of miles (giving me silver level), but no silver level - as I have zero United flights (and need 4).

My question is - what would you do, continue collecting miles on the United in hope to get them 4 flights (might take like 2 years), or switch mid-year to something like Miles&More?.. Seeing that United's PQMs will reset on Jan 01, there's probably zero benefit for me to continue with them? I will probably get to around 50K if stay with United. I understand there is no waver for the 4 flights at all? What if I get something like 50K miles, maybe they will waver?

My flight history with United this year: Air N Zealand LAX - LHR, Air N Zealand LHR - LAX, LOT WAW - LHR, LOT ODS - WAW, Turkish Air IST - ODS, Turkish Air LHR - IST, Lufthansa FRA - PEK, Lufthansa LHR - FRA
Thanks team!
E

Last edited by canoned; Jul 21, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: typo