FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Premium Fare Gone]: CX: Vietnam to North America from $674 (J) and $1100 (F)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:41 am
Single_Flyer

Originally Posted by Global321
You are the first person to have reported NOT getting the HKG-HAN bp. In my many many trips to Asia with connecting flights on one ITN, I have always gotten the connecting bp. Even the one time we had the ~10 hour layover in HKG, we were able to print our bp's at home in the USA - 24 hours before the USA departure and probably close to 48 hours before the HKG-HAN flight.
I guess I am the second person then. I didn't get mine either.

Originally Posted by staticx813
you wouldn't necessarily have the HKG HAN boarding pass (i did not) because they can't check you in until the day of departure and if you are leaving the US they wouldn't be able to give you the boarding pass as you are technically leaving the next day. that is because you are probably checked in before midnight (even though the flight leaves after midnight) when i asked my bags to check through to HKG, they just told me i would have to check in again to HAN at HKG - which i was fine with and had no plans of checking in that segment at all
When I checked in at YVR for YVR-HKG-HAN they couldn't give me the HAN boarding pass (at just over 24 hours before the HKG-HAN departure, which is on Vietnam Air metal). It was alright, I told them, I would just get the boarding pass in HKG

Immigration at YVR was fun -- I was doing a direct turn back to HKG. No option to transit (though I didn't ask too many questions!), so I had to go through immigration, go back upstairs to get boarding pass, and then go through security again. Immigration agent was a bit confused but I told him I was on a mileage run and he asked how far I was from reaching my elite status. He was well aware of the practice and was either interested in it or testing me to see if I really was that crazy!

By the way, when checking in at YVR the agent had no desire to see my Vietnam Visa (I guess the extra $$ for multi-entry was a waste but peace of mind...). Nor did they care one bit if I had a ticket out of Vietnam (I did not).