FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 years since reserving car for personal use, advice
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:21 pm
Plebian

Originally Posted by guv1976
The devil is in the details (of your particular rate). Some companies will only let you pay the weekly rate if you keep the car for at least 99 hours (four days plus three hours). If you keep the car for four days plus two hours, you might be charged the higher daily rate, plus the "additional hour" rate for the extra two hours.
I will study that before attempting a weekly rate.

Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm assuming that your rental would likely be for something like Monday-Friday, and not Thursday-Monday (which might qualify for lower weekend rates).

Do you belong to any organizations like AAA, AARP, USAA, Costco, etc., which offer discount codes with many of the major car-rental companies? Are you an alumnus of a college or university that has contract rental-car rates, and that also allows alumni to use those rates for leisure travel?
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I actually am going on a Wednesday through Monday but I needed to turn the car in Sunday because of hotel parking. I belong to Costco, great reminder. I don't believe my college has ever offered car rental discounts, but I will check. It sounds like the most obvious ways to rent a car might not be the cheapest. I was afraid that might be the case.

Thanks again.

​​​​​​​