FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Toll scam in Orlando
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2019, 3:02 pm
cesc

Toll scam in Orlando

I know I have used the word scam in my thread title but believe me I have good reason to do so.

So my card was charged $24.65 (4.90 in toll usage and 19.75 for use of Avis transponder) three weeks ago by HTA LLC. This is a firm which apparently does tolling for Avis and other rental companies. This was for a rental I had picked up in Orlando on 6/20.

When I looked at the receipt those charges were for 6/20 but for 2 hours before I picked up the rental. My rental receipt clearly shows I picked up the rental at 11PM whereas the charges are for 8:30PM the same day. I was actually on a flight to Orlando at 8:30PM.

Now why do i think it is a scam - those charges are for the same car car travelling away from the airport towards Disney World. What are the odds that someone actually took that car from airport to Disney and back within those 2 hours - and took different routes on the way to Disney and back (as there are no toll charges in the reverse direction)?

When I picked up the car at 11PM, I also took a tolled road (completely different from the one billed to me) but paid my toll in cash and saved the receipts. I called HTA LLC 2 weeks ago and explained the situation. They told me they will get in touch with Avis to verify the time I picked up the rental and resolve my concern within 48 hours. One week went by and nothing happened so I called them again last week. Explained everything again and they said they are backed up and will resolve within 48 hours. Again nothing happened. So I called them again yesterday and they said they will not resolve anything directly with Avis and the burden of proof is on me to prove I didnt use that road that day.

Fine enough - I had the rental receipt and my boarding pass so I said I can send them both (which I did yesterday). They said they will get back in 14-21 days!!!! They have not provided any request number or even acknowledged in writing that they have received my contract and complaint and will resolve. This is absolutely staggering and makes me feel even more strongly that this is a scam. They are expecting the customer to stop following up so that they can retain this money. Not sure how many others they are doing this to.

Purpose of the post is to make others aware and to get ideas on how to resolve this.

Last edited by cesc; Jul 19, 2019 at 3:11 pm Reason: Error