FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2019, 10:56 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
9. (1983) Per the 1983 OAG I referenced for these questions, what is Aspen Airways’ longest flight? Identify the city pair and the aircraft type operated, please.

I remember when Aspen Airways began serving Lake Tahoe (TVL) with nonstop Convair 580 flights to Burbank, San Francisco and San Jose being operated in the fall of 1979. Air California and PSA had finally ceased L-188 Electra service into TVL by that time and it really was an end of an era with regard to scheduled service being flown with the iconic four engine Lockheed turboprop in California.

However, by 1983 I believe Aspen was no longer serving Lake Tahoe but had expanded service from its DEN hub to include flights to the east. So if you are if referring to a nonstop flight, let's go with CV-580 service between Denver and Sioux City. And if you are talking about a direct flight, my answer would then be Denver - Sioux City - Waterloo once again with the 580.

Spot on, JL. Aspen it was. Alas, I don't have my source handy for full schedules in both directions but here's the southbound flights into Denver:

AP 701 Sioux City (SUX) 830a-920a Denver (DEN) Convair 580 Daily
AP 709 Sioux City (SUX) 501p-600p Denver (DEN) Convair 580 Daily