FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lebanon: should I be concerned about elevated State Dept warnings?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:07 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I was thinking of joining a walking tour in Lebanon in January....however the State Dept (US) travel warnings show it elevated to level 3, for several reasons (mostly possibility of terrorist action, IIRC). That has made me apprehensive about joining the tour...
The primary reason I’m not making personal trip plans to BEY in the short term is that the US Admin seems intent to stir a hornet’s nest with Iran and that makes BEY/Lebanon travel problematic if Israel or Hezbollah even pre-emptively go at it against the other and BEY airport gets shut down. If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t hesitate to make plans to visit. In other words, I’m not worried about being wounded or killed in a terrorist attack by non-state actors at this point, I’m more concerned about my schedule to be elsewhere getting disrupted by a conflict from or against a state — that is unless and until there is a hot conflict across the Israel-Lebanon border, and at that point I would be very concerned about hostage-taking becoming a business in Lebanon like it was in the 1980s and I would not be playing tourist there in any way.

In other words, if I were going to be in Beirut anyway, I wouldn’t hesitate to go on a walking tour there for any reasons related to a non-state terrorist attack. But the moment things turn hot, I wouldn’t suggest being there as non-Lebanese US citizen.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 18, 2019 at 6:55 pm