FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:11 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a turboprop from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Are you sure it's a turboprop and not, even better, a piston aircraft
Excellent point, Mr. M! So I went and checked and - lo and behold - that "CVR" designation I saw in the OAG - upon further investigation of the airline in question - was not a turboprop 580 but rather a piston engine 440. I had thought by 1983 we'd seen the last of the 440s, but NO!

So, thank you for the clarification, and my sincere apologies to jrl767 who never had a fighting chance on this one as it was incorrectly presented. Allow me to resubmit the question please...

23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a piston engine propliner from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops in Ohio are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:34 pm