FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Eat at Fast Food Restaurants when Traveling?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:13 am
strickerj

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by pinniped
I still think of it all as fast food, but I do appreciate the brands that try to do a fresher less-processed take on the concept, or generally adhere to a more pleasant, cleaner, modern ambiance.

It's hard to put a finger on it. I think of Potbelly's as a cut above Subway. It's literally the exact same ingredients, but Potbelly's presents it better and in most cases takes better care of the restaurants. Same with McAlister's.

I think of Noodles & Company as a cut above most of the rest of the fast food universe. I think that was the chain with which I first saw the "fast casual" term. Definitely a higher quality experience than, say, a Taco Bell.
The term “fast casual” never really made sense to me since fast food is already casual (really, it doesn’t get much more casual than McDonald’s or Taco Bell). I’d call Chipotle and the like “premium fast food”. I’m not sure where/when the term originated, but I never heard it when I worked at a McAllister’s in 2005.