FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:14 pm
Seat 2A

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
2. (1982) Life in Helena, Montana is pretty nice but when it comes to flying out of town, the options are severely limited. And expensive. As fate would have it, your wife needs to help care for her mother who’s recently broken her hip in a fall. Mother B. lives in Fargo, North Dakota. A call to your travel agent reveals that there are a variety of connections available – some with long layovers – or there’s a four-stop direct flight – on a jet no less – that will get into Fargo in the mid-afternoon. After a missed connection last year that robbed the family of a day in the Caribbean, your wife opts for the four stopper. Identify the airline, aircraft and the four stops in order that she’ll be flying.
Seems like the only other possibility is a Frontier 737; stops at BZN, Denver (DEN), Rapid City (RAP), and Sioux Falls (FSD)

For the most part, yes. Frontier is the airline of record here, and the 737-200 is the correct aircraft type. Now you just need to clean up the itinerary a little bit. Here's what we know so far...

FL 737-200 HLN - BZN - ________ - DEN - FSD - FAR.

Go get 'em, J!

5. (1958) It’s autumn of 1958 and you’re excited to be making your first trans-continental trip. Your flight will depart from Hartford’s Bradley International Airport and make three stops enroute to your destination at Oakland International Airport, conveniently located just four miles from your uncle’s house in San Leandro. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops you’ll make.

Okay, let’s go with TWA — a Lockheed L-749 Constellation stopping at Pittsburgh (PIT), MDW, and Las Vegas (LAS)

You are inching closer. The airline was not TWA, but the aircraft was indeed a Constellation, though not the L-749 model. Finally, Chicago Midway remains the only correctly identified airport of the three enroute stops. I look forward to your next effort. ^

23. (1983) Jets are wonderful inventions, but you’ve fond memories of your many flights aboard propeller driven aircraft such as the DC-6, Lockheed Electra and Vickers Viscount. You especially miss the large windows on airplanes like the Viscount, Convair 580 and Electra. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that in 1983 it’s still possible to fly all the way from Philadelphia to Chicago aboard a turboprop from the 1950s. The flight doesn’t operate nonstop of course – two enroute stops are made – but hey, so much the better as you’ll have that much more time to enjoy the experience enroute. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
I am taking Seat 2A’s response to mean that the aircraft in question was a CV5, so I will offer Wright Airlines operating via Detroit City Airport (DET) and Columbus (CMH)

You would be correct in your assessment of the Convair 580. In every other regard however, you are flailing wildly. As you must surely suspect by now, it warms the cockles of my heart to see participants as knowledgeable as you all flailing over any of my questions. I sit here rubbing my hands in glee as I await your next response!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 16, 19 at 6:23 pm