View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:06 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Last go before I'm off on a trip

19. (1987) You need to fly from Brussels, Belgium into London’s Luton Airport. Not surprisingly, only one airline offers flights on the BRU-LTN route with two mostly daily flights (X67) and a single Friday night only departure. You quickly book a seat aboard the Friday night departure. Identify the airline and jet aircraft type you’ll be flying upon
1987, Luton, I believe that would be London European, on another of our old friends, a leased-from-Tarom One-Eleven.

Now, it must have been just after the end of that year that at the office we looked at doing a ski party to Austria. Not really my excitement so I didn't get involved with the arrangements, which were done by a cheapskate travel agency and involved a Saturday charter to Munich. From Luton. And the carrier was not Monarch or Britannia, but this "obscure" London European. Who I recall were doing weekday flights to mainstream Europe, and overnight/weekend charters for various holiday companies.

When the team got back they described a decidedly minimalist operation, with ZERO in flight catering, just a hard sell of duty free goods.

The money for London European behind the scenes had come from Ryanair, who at the time could not get licences for flights not serving Ireland, so this was a UK AOC used as an initial Trojan Horse into Europe. Tony Ryan, founder of Ryanair, had the idea, and his son, Cathal Ryan, up to then an Aer Lingus 747 pilot, became chairman of the airline. But not long afterwards the EU rules changed, Ryanair could go where they liked in Europe, LE was merged in … and the rest is history. Except for Luton to Brussels, where although several carriers have tried and failed over time, has no service today.

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarch...0-%200343.html