FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Leaving Jet Blue
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:19 pm
damoose

Programs: United MileagePlus, SW Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Aside from the battery removal, this is just another good example of why you never check a bag. The battery issue is a snafu and you will likely be able to push for a bit more remediation but expecting a free Mint seat is a little DYKWIA. I've posted about my issue with gate checking recently and once again this steers more of my flying away from B6. Also, not to harp, but there are a ton of articles, posts, and stories about these brands of smart luggage and the need to avoid checking them.
Thanks for the reply. Before this new stupid bag, I normally wouldn't mind checking a bag. I haven't had a piece of luggage lost in years (probably just jinxed it) and it makes getting on and off the plane so much easier. Plus, I travel for work and sometimes I have tools or other items in my suitcase that can't go in a carry on.

I did see some other posts about frustration with these bags, especially if the battery is not removable. But I didn't see any other situation where someone was pulled off a flight even though the bag did not even have a battery.

I wouldn't expect and certainly I wouldn't demand a Mint seat, but it would've gone a long way towards making up for what happened. Instead, JetBlue essentially did nothing. Which I would expect if I had no status, but over the years I had come to expect more. Or at least something. Just disappointed.

What is really surprising to me is that a JetBlue employee is responsible for pulling the bag. I travel to China frequently and they have scanners that pick up bags with lithium ion batteries. You have to wait near the ticket counter until your bag goes through. If the scanner picks up a battery you get pulled side and take out the battery and it goes through the scanner again. Do US airports not have the same scanners? How can an airline employee be responsible for inspecting luggage by eye and not TSA agent or an electric scanner?