FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:24 am
Genius1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Greg66
I can (obviously!) read the categories of striking workers, but I have no idea (for example) how many LHR customer service employees who might be striking do things that actually affect passengers. Are they sales staff in the shops? Or are they lounge staff? Or check in staff (who I thought we’re employed by the airlines)?
The main population of HAL staff affected are security officers, and this would be the most notable interaction with HAL staff for the majority of passengers.

Most HAL customer service staff are behind the scenes (although trolley operatives are visible, for example), as are engineering (who maintain the infrastructure) and other operations staff (responsible for airfield safety, non-T5 stand allocation etc.).

Sales staff in shops are employed by the retailers, not HAL. Ground staff are employed by ground handlers or airlines, not HAL.