FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4 hrs in Detroit
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:22 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't risk Windsor. I'd look around in the Ren Cen area. There's also a cool restored historic hotel (IIRC Detroit Cadillac, probably legacy SPG LC) which probably has some other interesting buildings in the neighborhood. I've gone to nice restaurants in old mansions. Depending on the time of day, perhaps a drink in a hotel bar(Cadillac or maybe in the Ren Cen).

I think I've seen signs for an air museum of some sort vaguely near the airport, but I've never checked it out.

Instead of exploring parts of Detroit, you might want to spend a couple hours in Ann Arbor. It has a cute downtown with coffee places, etc. and the campus has some interesting buildings,

The DL terminal at DTW is interesting too. There are four SCs, although the two end ones are closed on weekends IIRC. There's the psychedelic tunnel, the overhead red train, and the (RIP) former "sign a rock" spot. The Westin hotel (landside but with its own TSA airport security entrance, unfortunately at best with PreCheck lite) has a pleasant lobby bar and restaurant and an impressive bamboo forest in the lobby. [It's fun to watch the workers taking care of the trees.]