FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Could Hyatt and other hotel companies be next? (Transparent pricing suit)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:48 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by skj
I guess I have different definition of "transparency" than some of you. If I do a search for properties in a city on hyatt.com or a 3rd party site like expedia or google/travel, I get a list of properties and rates. The rates shown do not include the resort/destination fees and thus distort any price-based comparison. It's not until one clicks 2 or 3 pages further to get to a specific property that there's any mention of the fee. I'd much rather see the all-in cost up front.
On expedia, it is shown on the first page one clicks for the hotel.
One Hyatt.com, it is shown on the first page one clicks for the hotel.
Maybe Marriott was hiding it more (from what I can see from their thread) but I only stayed at a Marriott a couple of times in the last year, neither of which was a resort so I have no first hand knowledge of how they operate.

Anyways, since hotels can be so drastically different in what they are offering, I have to click around a few properties anyways to look at room types available, amenities offered, location specifics, get a picture to see what the hardware looks like, etc. For Hyatt and most OTAs, resort fees are pretty much the first thing I see when I click on that property specific page before I see those other details that matter. I get that most of the public shoots for the lowest airline price -- in coach, the experience is mostly the same -- but hotels, especially in city and resort locales where fees are used -- the difference in product changes with each hotel so much, even within a given star category...