FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Could Hyatt and other hotel companies be next? (Transparent pricing suit)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:04 pm
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by davie355

I don’t care how transparent they are. They are a fundamentally dishonest method to charge more. I have nothing against hotels charging more. I have everything against dishonest methods of doing so.

I guess I don't think it is 'dishonest' when the resort fees are pretty upfront and easy to see when you are browsing for hotels. I fully support a full upfront pricing law -- as long as it includes taxes too, but heck, this is pretty meaningless because it is the fees for beach chairs, umbrellas, room service surcharges, and food/drink premium pricing etc that are the real kick in the pants (in terms of being shockingly high) and are sometimes barely disclosed onsite let alone online when you are booking. Similarly, the airline is required to put mandatory fees into the fare, but it is the baggage fees, ticket change fees, seat selection fees, etc that are much more onerous to figure out and can be (shockingly) ridiculously high.

(the real problem of course is in healthcare in the US -- but that is an omni thread discussion)