Old Jul 11, 19, 1:03 pm
Jon Maiman

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Springhill Suites Newark Downtown (Newark, DE)

Property: Springhill Suites Newark Downtown (Newark, DE)
Date(s): 1 nights, July 2019
Room booked: 2 Queen Studio Suite
Room received: 2 Queen Studio Suite
Elite Level: Lifetime Titanium
Award stay: Yes
Rate Type: N/A
BRG stay: N/A
SNAs redeemed: No
Comments: Property is approx. 1 year old with the new SHS format with barnyard door bathrooms, daybed with trundle bed couch, and light brown color theme. Check in was good and gracious. Room was fine except one quirk. The only way to turn off the built-in lights above the mini-bar area and the desk area was with the room master light switch. This also disables the desk lamp and some of the outlets. My daughter was trying to sleep and it was impossible for me to shut off the overhead lights and just have the desk lamp on so as not to disturb her. I figured there must be a way for me to do so and spoke to the front desk associate and she reached out to a peer and I spoke to them as well. While both were very polite and tried hard, neither had a way to to resolve the issue. I have been in other new build SHS properties and don't recall this problem though I am not %100 sure of that. Regardless it is a bad lighting design. All light fixtures in a room should be individually switched. <EndRant> Breakfast offering was weak for SHS (items not refilled promptly) and limited selection. Property does have a small bar, which I didn't partake of it.

--Jon