FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:45 am
jphripjah

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just a couple of points;

Someone asked about "shisha costs", it is $110++ and located at at the Nava Bar however it can be brought to your villa etc.

Happy hour 10pm-11:30pm at Nava Bar is only a Gold/Diamond benefit - so non Gold/Diamond guest pay full price. It is 50% drinks - selected cocktails (4 choices), selected beers, selected spirits, soft drinks etc. Should be enough to keep most happy.

And back to my crappy map edits;

I asked the ocean sports where the guided snorkelling day/night tour is and it is the blue line marked below, along the drop point.

Someone asked about Beach Villa preference, I have suggested a couple of preferences prior to this; but after a 6 days here and riding my bicycle around to/from villa and pools / restaurants etc I think I will ask for a BV south facing in the 600's first. Why? the greenery around 600s appear much more denser than than the 200's (which I was I originally liked). The south facing 600's have panoramic outlook and nothing in the distance. During the day you get the WA yacht come and go from time to time but you don't get any other boat traffic. At night, you look into the distance and there is very little lights from other islands / structures (that can be seen from some north / north east facing villas. If I can't get that, I would ask for a north east / lagoon facing BV in the 200s. I paddled into the lagoon earlier and sat there in front of the 200s and thought I would be OK with this view; there weren't many many people enjoying water sports but the location is close to the family pool (which has been mostly empty and highly enjoyable) and the gym/tennis courts. Plus I would think you would get a decent sunrise or sun visibility.

Now for Reef Villas, I think the 300s north facing would be my preference, the greenery is more dense than 400/500 islands, i felt it was more private (ie could not or harder to see some decks riding by) there are some decks on the 400s and 500s that are visible riding my bicycle past. plus it is more true north, and since i mentioned that there are some distant islands to the north/north east, the 300s I would think would be less impacted.

Anyway that's my final impression on BV/RV room types and why.

I’ll give my own impression on villa selection in a few days. I will point out though that there are no 400s villas. In fact no villa numbers have a 4 in them at all. Hence 202, 206, 208. Chinese superstition I guess.