FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone buy an extra seat or just COS?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:42 am
jrpallante

Originally Posted by flyshooter
Just as all airlines have size charts for carry on luggage, so too should there be size charts for the passengers. I once complained to SWA about allowing an oversized passenger sit next to me. She was so fat that her fat roll was over the armrest and my shirt was soaked from her sweat. I sent them a note along with in flight pictures and they sent me a credit for my full fare. That, however, doesn’t fix the problem. A passenger size box will fit both comfort and weight/balance issues instantly.
I have long lobbied for passenger sizers. Simply place two poles 17 inches apart. If you cannot walk through without touching both sides, you need to buy a second seat. I also believe it would be totally reasonable to charge passengers by the pound (even though I would personally suffer from this pricing strategy). If you ship any item by any means, the price is always based on weight. This is completely logical, because it costs more to transport heavier items. We often hear stories about airlines that saved thousands of dollars by eliminating olives for martinis, double-side printing, and other minor weight reduction measures. Yet, they continue to charge the same fare for a 50-pound child and a 400-pound behemoth. The larger person should pay more, and she should also get a wider seat. Many international flights offer a true premium economy, which is a nice compromise between business class and sardine class. Why is this not offered on domestic flights?