Old Jul 9, 19, 10:17 am
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
It really makes sense... there is something going off in my brain whenever I smell Qatar or Cathay. The fragrances they chose are amazing. It's quite odd but walking in the lounge in HKG made me feel like I was back in LHR T3.
It may make "sense" to you, but to those with severe allergies, it all makes too much "scents".

We always call well in advance to request a "fragrance free room", and we double check two nights before arrival and again the night before.
That's because they can, uh, misplace the request. And once that "housekeeping air freshener" is sprayed, it can't be quickly eliminated, and it's especially bad now that many hotels have windows that do not open.
So if the hotel is full, and the cleaning has mostly been done... and all the rooms have been strongly scented...that can become a serious medical problem. Yes, we once had a hotel apologize and move us to another (unrelated) property with a nice upgrade, but that was not what we wanted.

Relatively recently, hotels seem to be much more responsive to this, so I'm guessing that there are enough others who also request (or complain) these days.

Now, sitting right next to someone on a plane with assigned seating, someone who is "heavily fragranced"... that's a different problem...

GC