FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - +Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:06 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Got myself booked up for this.

Was silly enough to book Souq Waqif boutique hotels only to find out later that it is a dry hotel.

Was thinking of trying the bus as I'm travelling alone and in no hurry.

The bus schedules and the network have been beefed up. But if you are heading to Doha over the next few months you really need to work out if the hotel can be reached conveniently from the bus stop: the heat can be brutal.

The metro could be another option. Currently only the red line is in operation, between Al Wakra (south of the airport) to Al Qassar, north of City Centre. But I met some of the team who've been finishing off the airport section, and they say the red line spur to the airport should be ready to enter service very soon.

Fares are QAR2 (about 30p) and if you get a travelcard, a days' travel is capped at QAR6.

The souq station is on another line, but Msheireb station would put you well within a fifteen minute walk of souq waqif. But that would be ten minutes' too long in current temperatures.

So I'd get Uber or Careem from the airport. £5 or thereabouts. You could try the bus on your way back, when you are more in the swim.