FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:33 pm
UAL250

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wxguy
The policy is it is on at the pilot's discretion. A few pilots, like a few FAs, make up their own interpretation. Fortunately, it's a few.

A story I heard from a UA pilot whom I respect and trust: The hourly recorded airport weather, "ATIS," must be acknowledged by the pilot upon receiving the pre-departure clearance on the ground, as well as initial contact with approach control on initial decent. ATIS editions are coded using the phonetic alphabet, starting with ALPHA and ending with ZULU. A passenger heard an acknowledgement of "We have WHISKEY" and reported to the FAA the pilots had alcohol in the cockpit. And the crew had a mountain of paperwork to fill out. It just ruins it for all when that happens.
I guess I can see why a novice passenger would think that meant they literally had alcohol in the cockpit, but still very silly. I guess the way around that would be "We have information whiskey."