FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATL Bans Smoking, starting January 2, 2020
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:21 am
SSF556
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Drinking and "Drinking and Driving" are two totally different things. The vast majority of drinkers DONT drink and drive. Just like the vast majority of tobacco users don't discard lit cigarettes into flammable materials. There's nothing a drinker can drive while in an airport or on a plane, so your comparison isn't relevant.

A person drinking doesn't affect anyone else. A person smoking affects everyone who inhales their second hand smoke. Just ask us old folks who used to have to have no choice but to hang out in smoky bars. We may not have gotten lung cancer (yet), but we darn sure smelled like an ashtray the next day. Nowadays, thankfully we don't have to deal with that in most restaurants/bars.

Disclaimer: I drink and smoke cigars.
I am and always will be a skeptic when it comes to secondhand smoke. The internet has opened up the door to hundreds of articles that question the long term affects of secondhand smoke.

I am not a skeptic though when it comes to alcohol abuse and the death that it causes. Just had a neighborhood kid kill himself when he fell off the roof of a fraternity houses at Clemson University...guess what impaired his judgement? That "person" drinking has affected someone...he has affected his Mom and Dad, his brothers, his friends,....

Disclaimer - I am all about personal freedom BUT...I do see alcohol as a bigger personal threat to me than smoking, yet smokers have been banished to the bowels of buildings and to the sidewalks across the street. Yet I have watched many people drink and drink on an airplane or at a business function or on a golf course and then get in their car and drive home!