FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Expectations for the budget brands...
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:54 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
*stains on towels and sheets
*miscellaneous dirt/hair in bathroom, tub
*generally unkempt hallways (trash, etc)

As others have said, this is unacceptable. And it's not the norm. I've stayed a couple of times in the last year at another 35K Springhill on the FL beach (with no garage, so a different hotel) and had no issues around cleanliness.

*returned to room at 6 PM to unserviced room (when called front desk, was told I must have kept the DND on all day...um, nope)
*when asked for room to be serviced or at least refreshed (we had no clean towels; stained sheets from check-in still on bed two days later), was met 45 minutes later at the room door by a housekeeper who literally just handed me a stack of new sheets?

Getting skipped by housekeeping is a big peeve of mine. But in my experience, from upscale down through mid tier and budget brands, it can happen at any brand. But the recovery is different. At mid/lower end brands like Springhill, the housekeeping staff goes home by 5, so bringing a stack of towels is about all they can do.

*lovely view for this platinum member... a small window of the parking garage (the large side of this hotel faces the water and rooms have balconies, guess we didn’t get so lucky on either front)

This is unfortunately typical not of the lower end brands, but across Bonvoy. Hotels reserve award stays into their basic rooms, and only a few offer better rooms for an upcharge. As an elite, you can hope for an upgrade, for example into a water room view, but at a hotel by the beach over a summer holiday weekend, it's likely sold out making upgrades unavailable.