FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checked Baggage on Swiss for *G with UA Gold
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:42 am
clifford79

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by keisari
Flying in Coach on a ticket bought from United:
SFO-TLV with United
TLV-ZRH with Swiss (stay in ZRH for a few days)
ZRH-SFO with United
I have Star Alliance Gold and United Gold
Ticket is paid for (not miles) and booking class for Swiss (according to ua.com is L)

Question:
How much luggage I am entitled check on Swiss?
No personal experience on this particular scenario, but in general the Most Significant Carrier rule applies. Since the journey starts in the US, the marketing carrier of the first flight (UA) determines the baggage allowance for the whole itinerary. UA may here decide to apply either their own rules, or those of the actual MSC carrier (for each part of the journey separately). In the case of UA's rules, according to the UA calculator, a UA Premier Gold should get 3x 70 lb bags free of charge. A regular *G only gets 2 bags of 50 lb each. If UA decides to use the MSC's rules, then LX's rules would apply for the LX segment, in which case a *G gets 2x 23kg (50lb) bags for free.

I don't know whether UA in this case uses their own baggage rules, or those of the MSC.

To be on the safe side, try to get your luggage to fit into 2x50lb. If you need more, check with UA and get a printout of the rules to show the LX check in agent. If they (incorrectly) try to charge you, make sure you get a receipt, and try to get your costs reimbursed afterwards.