FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:11 pm
onobond
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by RADIOSUTCH
Newcomer to tier point runs
I think the recommended route at present is OTP LHR JFK PHX however for just a few £ more one can go via PHL. I sort of presume PHL is less busy being smaller than JFK easier to connect? If there anything inherently not recommended using PHL?
Chris
Originally Posted by alex67500
I think the idea is to add LAX in the run to get the "nicer" AA planes on the longer transcontinental flight. PHL-PHX won't have that.

AA domestic first is basically a glorified PE. I did LAS-JFK overnight recently, not a great experience.

And last but not least, there is no lounge access on domestic first, unless you're silver already (whereas you'd get access on a JFK-LAX). On such long runs, I expect that lounges are a welcome break.
For me, one reason to go through JFK, would be the better lounges there, compared to PHL's ACs. Often traveling alone, I have, however, come to enjoy the once daily LAX-PHL-LAX AA A330 with 1+2+1 configuration better, with more space and privacy, than even the 321T with slightly angeled 2+2, with a semi-BA experience of window seat passengers climbing over aisle pax. Especially, the AA1799 leaving LAX 08.00, arriving PHL at 16.23, is often also a good alternative to a red-eye LAX-JFK. The other 5 daily flights on the PHL-LAX route are A321 in straight 2+2, domestic F in a 2 class aircraft.